Sunday, February 26, 2012

Gym Workouts are not all that bad!

I did it! I went to the gym yesterday and did my first workout program as designed by my PT on Wednesday. 

Upon arrival I was very nervous! Would I remember what exercise was what and which machines I used when doing the quick round on Wednesday? It can be very daunting when you walk into a gym and see all that equipment but the key is knowing how to use it and how to use it properly for yourself.

I grabbed the program from behind the front desk and was stoked to see that it had been written in simple language as well as said what weight and what settings for the equipment. Off to warm up on the treadie for 10 minutes and then that was it, I was into my very first round of circuit! Circuit involves lots of strength type training for me. A lot of it upper body actually since I mentioned that I have zero upper body strength. This is very normal for females apparently. You would think with all that baby carrying we do, we would be stronger up there but it was interesting to chat with the PT about it all since we actually are using our back muscles to carry these heavy bambinos!

So my workout is 10 minute warm up, circuit, cardio for 10 minutes, circuit, cardio for 10 minutes, ab work and then stretch/cooldown. 

It doesnt sound like much but it took me an hour and a half to get through it all as well as burning off 1018 calories for my SSS session. I was pretty happy with that! Hubby and I chose a time when we knew the gym would be quiet. I figure its easier for me atm to work through these exercises without feeling like I am being judged by others who are fitter in the gym. I have to also remember though that this is the first step! This might seem outside my comfort zone but it is also not the comfort zone I should be worried about! This is my health....my life....and you cant put a price on that.

I thought I would blog today to give a message to everyone.....

Dont let the thought of embarrassment get to you. This is so much bigger than a feeling. This is life. This is the future we are building and being fit and healthy also means the future looks a lot brighter than it does right now. 

We can ALL do this! WE just have to be bigger than that little inner voice that seems to always say the wrong things at the right time. We need to gain control and with each step in the right direction, we are regaining that power.

So go on, get out there and get that workout done that you have been putting off. Even visit your local gym and see if you can get your own program fixed up. Some gyms even offer it for free when you join up. Look into it and you just may be surprised.

Get out there and JFDI!

Cath xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment